Long Island Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Attorney in Melville, NY and San Diego, CA takes on negligent doctors
Physicians and other healthcare providers have a legal obligation to treat their patients in accordance with the professional standards that apply under the particular circumstances. Violations of that duty of care could lead to injuries, illnesses and even death. At Themis Law Group, LLC, I am an experienced litigator representing victims of medical malpractice in New York, California and New Jersey. My firm has offices in Melville, Long Island and San Diego to help residents of those areas recover compensation for past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, emotional distress and lost income.
Firm handles a full range of medical malpractice claims
Various types of preventable mistakes give rise to medical malpractice actions, such as:
- Anesthesia errors — Improper administration of anesthesia creates serious problems for patients. If not enough is given, patients may be in extreme pain but unable to communicate their distress. Too much anesthesia might trigger life-threatening complications.
- Birth injuries — Problems in obstetric care could lead to cerebral palsy, fractures, infections and nerve damage.
- Emergency room errors — Doctors and nurses in an emergency room are trained to make quick, accurate decisions. When an ER doctor doesn't recognize the seriousness of a patient's condition, there could be severe consequences.
- Failure to diagnose — It is critical for doctors to identify symptoms and order relevant tests to determine if the symptoms indicate a serious illness or injury.
- Failure to warn of risk — Even minor medical procedures carry some level of risk. No one can eliminate all potential problems, but patients have the right to understand what negative effects are associated with a proposed course of treatment.
- Improper treatment — Healthcare providers that don’t use the treatment methods that have been developed through extensive testing and experience can be held legally accountable if something goes wrong.
- Medication errors — Prescribing the wrong medication, making a dosage error, failing to recognize dangerous drug interactions and ignoring potential side effects put patients at serious risk.
- Misdiagnosis — Victims of misdiagnosis might receive harmful, unnecessary treatment while being deprived of the care required to heal their condition.
- Negligent nursing home care — Residents of nursing homes rely on their caretakers to keep them healthy. Unfortunately, abuse and neglect contribute to falls, dehydration and other serious health issues.
- Surgical errors — My firm brings claims against surgeons who make critical mistakes such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving a surgical instrument inside a patient.
Medical malpractice lawsuits differ from other personal injury claims because an injured plaintiff must usually present expert medical testimony to establish that the care was negligent and the negligence caused harm. My firm works with accomplished physicians and other experts to bolster clients’ allegations and present compelling evidence in court.
Take action on your claim
It is important to consult an attorney as soon as you believe that malpractice may have occurred. In most cases, New York requires you to file a medical malpractice lawsuit within 30 months of the incident. California’s deadline is slightly longer at three years. There are situations where a victim might not discover their injury until after it occurs. In both states, if a reasonable person could not detect that they were victimized by medical malpractice until after the statute of limitations expired, they have one year from the discovery date to initiate a claim. When you retain the services of Themis Law Group, LLC, I will get to work immediately by reviewing your medical records to determine what type of relief is available.
Who can be sued?
Doctors who do not perform in accordance with professional standards can be sued for damages commensurate with the harm caused by their errors. However, many examples of medical malpractice can be traced to institutional problems, so you might have a claim against a hospital, medical center, healthcare organization or individual practice. You can rely on me to cut through the red tape and take action against all liable parties.
Contact a New York and California medical malpractice lawyer for a free consultation
Themis Law Group, LLC advocates on behalf of medical malpractice victims in New York, California and New Jersey. My offices are in Melville, Long Island and San Diego. To set up a free consultation, please call 866-226-4230 or contact me online.