Long Island Wrongful Death Lawyer
Attorney with offices in Melville, NY and San Diego, CA represents plaintiffs
When someone close to you dies, things are never the same. However, the pain can be even more intense when the death is unexpected and caused by someone else’s carelessness or intentional acts. Themis Law Group, LLC in Melville, Long Island and San Diego represents plaintiffs in wrongful death litigation so that survivors can obtain some measure of legal relief from the parties that contributed to the incident that killed their loved one. My firm serves clients in New York, California and New Jersey to help them secure reimbursement for final expenses, income the decedent would have earned throughout their lifetime and medical bills incurred before the victim died.
Common types of wrongful death actions
My firm handles wrongful death claims stemming from various types of incidents, including:
- Vehicle accidents — Each year, thousands of Americans are killed in car accidents and other types of vehicle crashes. Whether the fatality arose from a car crash, a motorcycle accident or an incident where a pedestrian was struck, I press for appropriate compensation from insurance companies and defendants.
- Medical malpractice — Some patients never recover from the errors made by doctors and hospitals. By working with expert physicians, my firm can help determine if medical malpractice led to your family member’s death.
- Toxic exposure — Mesothelioma caused by exposure to asbestos has killed thousands of factory employees and others who worked with that carcinogenic substance. Manufacturers of toxic materials and companies who used them might be legally responsible for the deadly harm that they cause.
- Accidents caused by unsafe premises — Property owners have a legal duty to protect guests from preventable dangers on their premises. Damaged floors, faulty stairs, poor security and other hazards could be deadly if the individual or business in control fails to take the necessary safety measures.
- Intentional acts — In addition to criminal charges, someone whose intentional act causes someone else’s death could be liable for civil damages.
When you meet with me about your potential wrongful death action, I will outline the relevant legal standards and the type of financial recovery that might be available. In New York, California and New Jersey, you have two years from the date of the victim’s death to file a claim, but acting promptly makes it easier to gather the necessary evidence.
Damages available in a wrongful death claim
Filing a wrongful death action can be a difficult process for a grieving family member, and the laws governing these claims differ from state to state. In New York and New Jersey, the personal representative for the victim’s estate must be the plaintiff in these lawsuits, while California allows certain surviving family members to bring the case. Plaintiffs can recover various types of damages in claims, such as:
- Funeral costs and other final expenses
- Income and benefits that the decedent would have been expected to earn over their lifetime
- Healthcare expenses related to the fatal incident incurred before the victim died
- The loss of companionship, counsel and household contributions
Taking the first step after a tragedy can be difficult, but my firm is here to help clients obtain appropriate payment while holding liable parties accountable for the role they played in a tragic fatality.
Contact a New York and California lawyer to discuss a wrongful death claim
Themis Law Group, LLC, with offices in Melville, Long Island and San Diego, represents wrongful death plaintiffs in New York, California and New Jersey. To schedule a free consultation regarding your legal options, please call 866-226-4230 or contact me online.